Executive Committee 2011
- James CorbinPresident
- Michael FordeVice President
- Anthony YearwoodTreasurer
- Michael ArmstrongMember
- Allan HerbertMember
Former I.S.B. Presidents
- Allan Herbert2005-2007
- Ms. Teri Townsend2003-2005
- Ricardo Jarvis2002-2003
- Maureen Pollard2000-2002
- James Corbin1998-2000
- Stewart Bishop1996-1998
- Dr. Delisle Worrell1994-1996
- C. Trevor Clarke1992-1994
Vision & Mission
The Information Society of Barbados (ISB), launched in May 1992, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the education of persons interested in and working with Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in Barbados.
The ISB is the premier organization in Barbados dedicated to Information and Communication Technology specialists, Information Technology technocrats and persons involved with the collection, processing, retrieval or sharing of information. Membership of the Society is open to individuals, businesses, professional bodies and other institutions.
Aims of the Society
- To unite users, information specialists, suppliers, professional organizations and all other persons/ organizations in the public and private sector who are engaged in the use and management of information in Barbados
- To stimulate a national awareness of the value and importance of information
- To promote the development of information technology in Barbados by initiating and fostering co-operation between institutions and companies within the information sector
- To promote a high standard of education and training for users of information services
- To sensitize decision makers in the public and private sectors to the importance of information, and of Information and Communication Technology, to the economic and social development of Barbados
- To provide opportunities for members to consider any matters affecting information users and/or suppliers, and to assist in the promotion of activities which would enhance their knowledge and skills in the interest of expanding the information communication technology sector
- To develop a progressive, non-political, multi-disciplinary organisation which will be financially self-sufficient.
During its life the ISB has maintained an active programme of events and initiatives for the benefit of its members and the Barbadian public. Past activities sponsored by the ISB have included:
- International conferences on ICT held in 1999 and 2006
- Training seminars for members
- Founding member of ICANN Latin America Caribbean Region-at-Large Organisation (LACRALO)
- Demonstrations of the uses of information technology
- Internet roadshows and town hall meetings in collaboration with the Ministry of Trade and Commerce
- Video presentations on life and work in the technological future
- Luncheon and Dinner discussions
- A national e-content competition held in 2010 in conjunction with the WSIS World Summit Award (http://www.wsis-award.org)
- Events honouring outstanding Barbadians for their contribution to the work of the Society and the development of ICT in Barbados. Past honorees include: C. Trevor Clarke, first president of the ISB and former Executive Vice-President of Cable & Wireless West Indies; and Dr. DeLisle Worrell, Governor of the Central Bank of Barbados.
The ISB Executive has also been invited to participate on advisory committees to Government on Information and Communication Technology policy.